Skier and Officials Tips and Requests
This page contains helpful site-specific information for skiers and officials. The goal is for people to read this in advance so that repetitive discussion is not necessary during sets and so skiers can have the best possible experience while being fair to everyone.
Slalom Drop Areas:
- Ski TO the noodles, NOT past. If you do, you will be asked to back up so boat can go around you. The noodles are placed as far back as they can safely go to allow for boats to pass around skiers. Once you come to rest, you may swim further back to maximize your entry length. Learn the patterns now so that you are comfortable during tournaments/regionals.
- Upper Lake: At far end, 1st and 3rd passes, pull out left. At near end, 2nd and 4th passes, pull out right. (Both ends pull out north toward lower lake.)
- Upper Lake: At completion of round, if you are still skiing, pull out left to the boat/exit dock. DO NOT ski directly to the starting dock as other skiers will be ready to start. Do not climb onto the boats to exit the lake. Swim to the shore and exit at the dock itself.
- Lower Lake: Both ends, pull out left.
Shortline skiers: At ends of lakes, don't pull out so aggressively that you pass the boat and have to brake at the noodle, possibly getting the handle ripped out of your hands. The boat does not have the space to keep up with you, and will not. Boat will slow down to attempt to control skier. You will get less backwash if the boat can come to rest before the end of the lake.
Long-line and 15-off skiers: At ends of lakes, pull out aggressively so you get all the way to the noodle. Look/listen for the boat to give you a "kick" to help.
36 MPH Entry—Be prepared for firm throttle so speed can be reached by pre-gates.
- SHOES OFF in the towboat.
- Wash ALL clay off feet.
- Beverages: drinking water only.
Tournament Practice—If skier falls, pick up, proceed in same direction to maintain 8/6/4 passes as appropriate for that day/time approaching tournament.
Slalom Drop Areas:
- Slow down before skier noodle (control the skier). Make skier back up if they exceed skier buoy. Make them learn pattern now so they are relaxed during tournaments/regionals.
- Some skiers strive to maximize their entry length. Please try not to pull them out of "the hole." Suggestion: Come around the skier and wait for the two wait timer pre-beeps before proceeding forward. The line will be just about tight when the 4 final beeps sound.
- Help the long-line and 15-off skiers get to the noodle by giving a "kick."
36 MPH Entry—Firm throttle to be up-to-speed at pre-gates.
15-off Entry at 32 and 34 MPH: Best if you give firm throttle to allow skier more setup time.
This page updated 7/25/16.